Thursday, October 7, 2010

Edward

reminds me of Edward Scissorhands, first of all. but it's name. and the fact that the star is Johnny Depp who stars in the movie of the story that this poem REALLY reminds me of: Sweeney Todd.

the poem is very repetitive. VERY. I'm not sure if you all noticed that or not, but it irritated me.

at first, Edward lies about what really happened. first, he says that the blood on his sword is from his hawk, but mom knows better. same deal with the steer or ox or whatever. he doesn't want to admit that he killed his father. it's quite likely that he feels shame for doing so, and doesn't want to admit to it. however, the mother keeps pushing him to tell her. this leads me to believe that she knew exactly what happened. a normal mother, I think, would have been terrified to find this out, but this mother is surprisingly chill about the whole thing. perhaps too chill? I'm thinking she had something to do with it in some way. I mean, she sure as heck doesn't seem to show any sadness. and she doesn't really make Edward feel bad about anything either. she asks him what'll happen to his family: "let them beg" and what will happen to his dear old mother: he wishes a "curse of hell" upon her. but his plan, apparently is to pack up and leave town.

and his mother seems to support this. not your typical family, I don't think.

I wish I knew who wrote this/when it was written. not that it's necessary, but I'm curious. it's a rather strange topic, y'know?

No comments:

Post a Comment