Monday, November 8, 2010

"I like for people to think what pleases them and makes them happy."

fin.

I personally LOVE the ending of "How I Met My Husband". I find the whole "let's spend five pages talking about this guy that isn't actually her husband" idea quite cool. one of the reflection questions was something about whether or not the end was predictable. I personally sorta saw it coming. I mean, no well-written story ends so perfectly. I KNEW there had to be some twist. now, I didn't expect for the conclusion to happen and be done with quite so quickly... but it made me laugh. for me it was sorta like this: "oh hey, this guy is perfect! he's cute, charming, funny, going places with his life, interested in me, married, he kisses me, promises to write, leaves suddenly on his plane..., andthenImeettheguyI'llactuallymarry. THE END!"

I think that building up all of this backstory that doesn't really matter really sets the stage for some other guy to come in and steal the story. and, even though it's kind of sad, the last line of the story is perfect, just because throughout the story Edie's passive and doesn't want to be the source of conflict, and the same is precisely true at the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment