Tuesday, March 22, 2011

GreGat.

that's how I've decided to shorten The Great Gatsby, bytheway.

"In my younger and more vulnerable years my father gave me some advice that I've been turning over in my mind ever since."

That's the first line of this novel. I find it particularly interesting. So did a list I stumbled upon recently naming the fifty best first lines of novels, but that's beside the point. This line is pretty simple, I think. It's not anything really profound, and he (the narrator) doesn't even tell you what his father said to him. He simply says he was once given some advice. And it stuck, since he's been mulling it over since he was "more vulnerable". This sentence sets the tone for the book and gives one of the themes too, I believe. So far, the book focuses on the one character, Nick. The story is told from his point of view. I think that this line gives the reader the indication that this book isn't about living life and having all the answers. Rather, it's the story of a journey. and how this one man reflects on his own view of the world throughout the book, trying to make sense of it all. maybe I'm jumping a little to far ahead of myself here. we'll find out shortly, I'm sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment