Thursday, April 14, 2011

parallelism

"My affection for my guest increases every day." p. 11

firstly, I'm a little weirded out by this line. but it works to introduce what I want to talk about: Walton and Frankenstein. I mentioned in my last blog that the frame story seems silly to me, but I know it creates a sort of parallel between the two. it does initially, at least. it shows right away that the two are loners and like to whine. I get a feeling that part of their "loneliness" comes from the fact that both of them have some sort of complex. they both talk about how great their minds are almost constantly at first. Walton is so excited about his exploring and Frankenstein about his inventions. maybe they're lonely because they can't connect to anyone else properly. sorta like in Flowers for Algernon when Charlie becomes so intelligent that no one can relate to him on a level that suits him... maybe. also, Walton and Frankenstein have weird ways of expressing affection - both towards each other and to their sisters. still weirds me out. a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment