Thursday, September 16, 2010

am I the only one that just sings

"Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" when I start reading "Bright Star"? I mean, I can't be the only one, right? or maybe I am. maybe I'm all alone in the world, just like a star up above the world so high (see how nicely that segued?). In "Bright Star", the poem obviously addresses this star. It's a poem of direct address, but it also contains apostrophe. obviously, this star isn't going to respond, yet the speaker expresses just how fond of the star's qualities he is. he doesn't so much compliment the star as he would a person, but he speaks of the qualities he wishes were his own: "eternal lids apart" (line 3), "still steadfast, still unchangeable" (line 9).

essentially, the speaker wants to be eternal (The Perks Of Being A Wallflower, anybody?). he wants to be able to watch life and the world change and not change himself. he wants to be able to stay forever in the position he's in (with his lover) and never be alone. the need for companionship is the only part keeping the speaker from wanting with all of his being to be this "Bright Star".

No comments:

Post a Comment