Thursday, September 9, 2010

"my mind is set on overdrive"

and to top it all off, some Brain Stew by Green Day.

senses dulled.
face is numb.
guess that's the point of delirium.
onmyownherewego.

Emily Dickinson provides a very interesting sensation while reading "I Felt A Funeral In My Brain". the use of sounds is so integral to the poem, but all the senses play a huge role. it's a very "sensing" poem. I mean, the title itself employs the sense of touch. she "heard them lift the casket" and "creak" across her soul. I can't imagine that with all of these conflicting senses and images that this funeral was a real funeral. firstly, the speaker would have to be inside the casket if it were, making them dead and senseless. so that's a no-go.

rather, I see this whole thing as a system of decision making. the "mourners, to and fro" are the two opposing sides that continue to move around and change things up on the speaker. when things had calmed down for a bit, the beating started. the over-thinking and over-analyzing started, making her go numb for a while. then, the ideas shifted just enough for note, and things became clear, allowing the speaker to see reason and know what decision to make. this process was a long one in this particular instance, but I think a lot of decision making follows a similar pattern. the other argument one could make is that this is about a mental breakdown, but I think that takes the ordinary struggle of decision making that is present a step too far.

1 comment: