Thursday, September 23, 2010

go 'head! don't conform just like all the other "nonconformists"!

as much as I'm bothered by Emily Dickinson's writing style in regards to her poetry, I must say I agree with her a fair amount. I don't mean to say that I'm on the edge of a mental breakdown or anything, but in "Much madness is divinest Sense", I can't help but cheer her on as she expresses how "mad" it is to conform. Simply put, conformity = sense = madness. by conforming, you make sense to the rest of the world, but you're actually mad. in fact, a syllogism applied here would say that conformity = madness, and I don't disagree. without thinking in terms of what is best for one as an individual, said person is doomed to end up behaving in manners that make no sense. "mob mentality" takes over and creates an unthinking livelihood that ultimately leads to madness.

conversely, she also suggests that nonconformity = madness = sense. if the same concept is applied as before, nonconformity looks crazy in the eyes of society, but creates a thinking, doing, way of life. this thinking makes that madness translate into sense in the whole scheme of things.

and to quote Dr. Seuss, "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

I couldn't have said it better.

No comments:

Post a Comment