Thursday, September 16, 2010

Emily Dickinson is a strange one...

forreal though. I can't tell if I like her yet or not. I will say this much: she's not big on long, complicated sentences and stanzas. I like that. the syntax of her sentences is indeed a little strange though, as she uses unnecessary hyphens, I feel. however, that's not quite the focus of "I taste a liquor never brewed". I personally love the imagery in this. I also found it quite interesting that before reading this poem I had just finished reading a little blurb about how "Mountain Dew" got its name, and then "Dew" comes up again in line 6 of the poem. (curious about how that relates? check it: http://wiki.name.com/en/Mountain_Dew) all of the imagery either relates to wildlife or to alcohol. it's not a literal alcohol though. the metaphor that I see is that life, namely, summertime, provides a natural euphoria or "drunkenness" that is unparalleled, even by alcohol.

The speaker even goes so far as to say "[w]hen [b]utterflies -- renounce their "drams" --/I shall but drink the more!" (line 11,12) to me, this is not a "I can drink you under the table" challenge so much as it is a statement of how absolutely intoxicating the fresh air is. even butterflies, creatures who spend all day outside "drinking", will get tired of this before the speaker will. the last stanza, too, seems to imply that those who have never tried this (saints and seraphs) have no idea what it's like, so they watch intently as the "[t]ippler lean[s] against the -- [s]un". they watch the "drunkards" in awe of their behavior and their seemingly carefree personalities.

No comments:

Post a Comment