Monday, August 2, 2010

restless? - TSAR

"Listen, Robert, going to another country doesn't make any difference. I've tried all that. You can't get away from yourself by moving from one place to another. There's nothing to that."
p. 19

Jake seems to be the voice of reason in all of this. he's trying to get the idea that traveling will solve problems out of Cohn's head. I think Jake already realizes that the only way to fix things is to work from the inside first. sure, you can travel all over the place and meet new friends. you can have experiences that are unique to you that no one else can relate to, but in reality that only hurts you more. when you stop being able to relate to other people, you stop being able to relate to yourself. I'm probably taking that a liiiittle bit further than it was intended. I can definitely understand how the thought of traveling would seem like a good way to get away from all the stress and challenges of life at "home" (heck, I do the same thing sometimes. my brain tells me that going back to Spain would solve all the stress I've got here dealing with this AP work!) but you've got to come back eventually. when you do, THAT'S when the real trouble starts. you can't run away forever.

1 comment: