Sunday, August 8, 2010

irony and pity - TSAR

"Aren't you going to show irony and pity?"
I thumbed my nose.
"That's not irony."
p. 118

this whole "irony and pity" thing really confuses me. it doesn't make sense. I even tried to make sense of it. what is "irony" according to Bill? because I'm pretty sure it's not "a discrepancy between appearances and reality". is it sort of like Alanis Morisset's song "Isn't it Ironic?", a song that contains very few examples of irony and many coincidences?

and, obviously, this gives me a perfect opportunity to address the irony I've come across in this book. the best example I've found I've already discussed a little in a previous post, but not in terms of the irony. the conversation between Jake and Bill about trying to remember what happened on Bill's trip I find to be quite ironic. I mean, Bill was so drunk that he still can't remember what happened. to try to remind him, Jake makes him drink. as far as I'm aware, alcohol doesn't help much with your memory. somehow, in this book drinking is a way to remember things, not a way to forget them. so maybe that's some sort of satire on Hemingway's part? or he just finds it humorous. I'm not sure...

No comments:

Post a Comment