Sunday, August 8, 2010

oh, the wonderful world of dialect... - TSAR

"Tight, Jake. I was tight"
"That's strange. Better have a drink."

conversation between Bill and Jake, p. 76

I'm not gonna lie, it took me a while to realize that "tight" meant "drunk". a long time. actually, I think I had to re-read it a few times to figure it out. I think that in any other circumstance, this would be a little sad. but, I've never heard the word "tight" used in this sense before. I can't say for sure that only this group of people use it, but it certainly isn't something that is used today. at least, not where I'm from. I'm definitely labeling that as dialect.

I also find it hugely amusing that Bill basically says "I was too drunk to remember anything, so I thought it was better than it really is," and Jake's suggestion to jog his memories is "Oh, that's strange, drink some more, maybe you'll remember."

so, Bill gets drunk again. tells everyone what he's going to gift them (he is a taxidermist, after all), meets Brett, and that's about it?
more drinking. more promiscuity from Brett. aaand, not much else? cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment