Thursday, August 12, 2010

wait, so who's a pimp? - TSAR

Cohn basically beats the crap out of Romero, the bullfighter. but first, he beats the crap out of Jake for being a... wait a second, a pimp? because he let Brett leave with Romero? shouldn't Mike be the one angry? not Cohn? but then again, Cohn's the one still "in love" with Brett. Jake's gotten over her ("to hell with you, Brett Ashley" p. 152) and now NO ONE likes Cohn anymore... but then we see some real remorse from Cohn. Jake goes to check on him (p. 198) and he's crying. he's so upset about what he's done and he has this conversation with Jake:
"You were the only friend I had, and I loved Brett so."
"Well, so long."
"I guess it isn't any use. I guess it isn't any damn use."
"What?"
"Everything. Please say you forgive me, Jake."
"Sure, it's all right."
"I felt so terribly. I've been through such hell, Jake. Now everything's gone. Everything."
"Well, so long. I've got to go."
p. 198

I drawn two important things from this: one, Jake doesn't really seem to care much. he doesn't explicitly forgive Cohn which either means that he was never offended by him OR that he can't forgive him yet, if ever.
the second thing, Cohn says he's lost EVERYTHING now... does that mean he's lost his wife, too? is he leaving her, the opposite?

1 comment:

  1. I was suprised at how quickly Cohn begged, BEGGED, for forgiveness.

    ReplyDelete